Tuesday, September 25, 2012

on the bylane

although i have picked up few hyderabadi slangs and can hustle with a telugu fella,  i feel that i miss my mumbai. especially the Ganesh festival.

the fanfare, the decoration, the faith that mumbaites carry in Ganesh is overwhelming. In a city that never sleeps, where men have become busier like never before, there is a certain sense of calmness that Ganesh festival celebrations bring to the life of a commoner in Mumbai.

Not all homes bring and do 'Ganesh Sthapana'*, but the ones who do it religiously   abstain from alcohol, carnal pleasures and stick to puritan food consumption for the entire 11 day period.
The way Muslims brethren religiously observe the holy month of Ramadaan*, people in Mumbai and Maharashtrians to a greater extent discipline themselves in the month of Shraavan*. 
I miss the huge Ganapati pandals of Mumbai, the lovely and beautifully decorated Ganapati at Wadala( see His picture here, isnt he cute :) )

The Matunga ganapati, the lalbaug ganapati, my grandma's ganapati, and my saraswat baug ganapati. i am really missing them.
I miss the I woudnt have missed ganesh celebrations much if hyderabad celebrated it with the same religious and sentimental fervor. I found that missing.

My observation on the bylanes cause more pain to me, than pleasure.

To add to the apathy, i found drunkards carrying the idol for immersion, it pained me to see lack of empathy and the signs of degradation among the advanced form of creation.Ah, it pains.

It is a customary for me and my parents to travel to my grandma's home and have amazing food there and also meet my family members. It is also a fun-fare to visit all my friends homes and stay up with them while they perform the 'arati*'.
I am cribbing to have been unable to do them all, and certainly feeling out of place.

The purpose of Sarvajanik Ganesh Utsav started by Lokmanaya Tilak was to bring together masses so they could fight for the country unitedly. this message too is getting lost somewhere. Ah, it pains.

Ganesh Sthapana - the ceremonial process by which an idol is formally installed at home for the 11 day customary period of Ganesh Chaturthi.
Ramadaan- the holy month of rigorous fasting followed by Muslims
Shraavan- the fifth month of lunar calendar(Hindu calendar)
arati- prayers offered to God , mostly they are beautiful songs sung in praise of the respective lord.


his wealth is priceless
mortals crave his wealth,
sails unfurl with his name,

he watches and swatches,
he amuses and bemuses,
he loves and is loved, 
he is cutest and most beloved,
he is Lord Ganesha

No comments:

Post a Comment